ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/OptionalTasks dotnet.html
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:09:14 GMT
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:36 pm, Steve Loughran wrote:

> well, the only dictionary I had handy was the BBC spanish learner's
> dictionary, and it listed both, so who knows...

In English, practice is the noun and practise is the verb. It's the same with
licence (noun) and license (verb). In American usage, the s form is used for
both noun and verb.

There is a little pattern here and you can use advice/advise to remember which
is which, because it is the same pattern (c-noun/s-verb). Advice and advise
remain distinct in American usage, due to thier different sound, I guess.

So, the change I made to become "an ugly practise" appears incorrect to me but
is correct to someone from the US.

Anyway, enough grammar - returning to our regularly scheduled program :-)

Conor