ant-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: License updates needed
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:10:33 GMT
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
>
> > I did a licensing audit. There's some things needing doing:
> >
> > * The Java sources should be updated with the new ASL 2.0 header;
> > * the new ASL 2.0 license should be added to gump cvs along with a
> >   NOTICE file;
> > * many of the python sourcefiles should get the new ASL 2.0
> >   license header in place of no header existing at all, some need
> >   the 1.1 license replaced with the 2.0 license;
> > * the other (shell) script files probably need the header added as well;
> > * I'm not sure whether the xsl and xml files need the header.
> >
> Adam Jack has prepared a *python* script to update source code with
> license headers and I have been working on it this evening
> because I have volunteered to do the job for ant. The file is in the
> committers cvs repository (did not know this one before) under the
> relicense directory.

Unless it's been fixed since he first mentioned it, the problem with this
script is that it does not retain the original copyright years, but
overwrites them. IANAL, but many, many years of experience have taught me
that retaining the original years is very important. So I'd recommend
against using the script unless / until it can handle this.

(Yes, I know committers@ isn't supposed to be used for this kind of thing,
but the message to which I'm replying went there, and I want to make sure
the same people are aware of the issue. Sorry.)

--
Martin Cooper