ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Consult-smi, Coenen" <coenen.consult-...@airbus.com>
Subject Re: Ant 1.7
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:43:52 GMT
Hi,
concerning point 4, the virtual file system, I'd like to ask a question:

>> Very long term, if we were to get something really good, it might be
>> possible to change the axiom saying "Ant only builds based on JDK + XML
>> parser" to "Ant builds with JDK + XML Parser + VFS API".

Why not make it: JDK + XML Parser + JCR API ?

The Java Content Repository API is soon to be moved into Public Review Phase. I like it because
it is standardized and offers a 2-level driver support. Usual filesystems only need to comply
to level1 of the spec and fullblown CMS-like content-repositories can implement level2 of
the spec which adds versioning a.s.o.
I would imagine that the JCR API will eventually have the biggest industry support, as it
is a standard JSR. Naturally, there will be a variety of drivers available for this API, probably
more than for the VFS API.

However, I have no expert knowledge on JCR and VFS, but I'm curious to hear whether you consider
JCR a viable option. To me it seems that JCR and VFS are very similar in scope.

greetings
Sascha

Alexander (Sascha) Coenen
Software Consultant
Information Systems
____________________________________
AIRBUS
Spares Support and Services

PHONE +49 (0)40 5076 2316
FAX +49 (0)40 59 25 46
E-MAIL coenen.consult-smi@airbus.com
WEB SITE http://spares.airbus.com

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain
privileged information. If you are not the addressee you must not copy,
distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have
received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be
accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and
security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of
Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.