ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: FYI: Blog "Complex build systems need a real language" found
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:53:57 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Jan Materne <> wrote:
> I don't read TSS and haven't followed the article, but Jon is the
> build guy at ThoughtWorks, Martin Fowler's company.  Martin has
> already blogged[1] about the same issue and my main comment[2] is that
> it is true.  "Complex builds need a real language" and to me the real
> language is Java - write tasks.

Given I am still struggling in vain to get CruiseControl up and running,
   I find it deeply ironic that ThoughtWorks are critiquing ant.

My ripostes would be

'Complex build systems need decent tool documentation'
'Build tools should ship with a valid set of subsidiary jars (like
checkstyle, xerces'
'Complex build tools should come with functional tests, like say with

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message