ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: Launcher issues
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:25:28 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:

>FWIW, I've had at least 5 users having problems with the new Ant 1.6
>launcher because they had unexpanded environment variables in their
>CLASSPATH. I can almost trace adoption of Ant 1.6 in this company just by
>questions about the IllegalArgumentException they're all getting. I suspect
>this is not the last we here of this. --DD

Hi Dominique,

I do not understand this issue of unexpanded environment variable in
one's CLASSPATH.
How do your colleagues set their CLASSPATH ?
Are they working under Windows or UNIX ?

For me, whatever the operating system, if your profile says :
export
CLASSPATH=$APPLICATIONA_HOME/classes:$APPLICATIONB_HOME/classes:$APPLICATIONC_HOME/first_jar

or the equivalent under your operating system, by the time the CLASSPATH
environment variable reaches an application it is already expanded.

I do not set CLASSPATH under Windows, but I set PATH with the system
applet of the control panel. I set PATH to be
%ANT_HOME%\bin;%JAVA_HOME%\bin ...
but when I open a shell window, the PATH is already expanded.

How do your colleagues start ant :
- do they start one of the supplied scripts (ant.bat or ant for Unix),
- or do they start ant through an IDE, or somehow through API calls
- or do they start somehow java org.apache.tools.ant ... from the
command line ?

Antoine