ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Reilly <peter.rei...@corvil.com>
Subject Re: New Launcher and JPackage RPMs
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:30:48 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>Hi,
>
>today I found myself discussing with the JPackage folks on their list
>about the problems the RPM setup has with the new Launcher.
>
>They put all the installed jars into a single directory and let config
>files put together the classpath before they invoke Ant IIUC.
>
>So far we've told people that the new Launcher would pull in all jars
>from ANT_HOME/lib (and in addition from ~/.ant/lib, but we didn't say
>that very loud) - but this is not true.  It pulls in all jars from the
>directory containing ant-launcher.jar, no matter where it is.
>
>In stock installs this is the same, but not in the RPM installation
>where this behavior pulls in the whole Java universe.

This may have performance implications.
I was looking at slowdowns from 1.5 to 1.6. One issue is
<typedef resource="cpptasks.tasks"/>
This is slower in 1.6 than it is in 1.5. This is due to the new
classloader (I think). The new classloader added the jars in
${ant.home}/lib to the
classpath and also opens each jar looking for classpath information in it.
If the <typedef/> is at the top level, this happens each time an ant-call is
done - so a common idiom causes problems:

<project name="project">
    <include name="common.xml"/> ( or &common;)
    <target name="compile-mains">
        <foreach list="a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i" param="program" target="compile"/>
    </target>
    <target name="compile">
    </target>
</project>

Where common.xml contains:
<taskdef resource="net/sf/antcontrib/antcontrib.properties" />
<taskdef resource="cpptasks.tasks"/>
<typedef resource="cpptasks.types"/>

Peter