ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: Default setting of the javac includeAntRuntime attribute?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:00:51 GMT
Kenneth Olving wrote:
> Steve, thank you for a comment in depth.
>>version, but changing a default is the kind of subtle change that
>>doesn't appear to break things, but changes the expected
>>results. People
>>really hate it when we do that.
> Yes - again, I can definitively relate to that. The bottom reason I desired this may
very well be me that I'm overprotective :-) background is in CM, and we've had a few
cases which burned us a bit where people happily chugged away for months, and then we started
getting really weird cp problems when deploying, even though it all built fine. It took us
some time to nail down the problem - they were unknowingly using libs that just happened to
be present in the internal Ant cp. Different versions than we later shipped for deployment...ugh.

Like Erik said; put a custom Ant distro in SCM for the team to use. If
you give it a different name e.g. 'WANT' and modify the batch/script
files to look for WANT_HOME it will coexist with any other ant distros.
this lets you lock down much more what everyone is working with, and
lets you add needed libraries to the build without forcing everyone to
manually add them.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message