ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Default setting of the javac includeAntRuntime attribute?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:04:10 GMT
Kenneth Olving wrote:
>>There are lots of things that are inconsistent & due to backwards
>>compatibility. No, we dont want to change them.
>

> Fair enough, I can relate to that. And as Mr Fernandez points out, there may be a better
solution anyway in this particular case.

>>do you want to field
>>every bug report that comes in saying we broke their build?
>

> Touchy, aren't we?

No, though I am a bit grumpy with telcos this morning; the subject of
DSL provisioning is a sensititive one today.

asking if you wanted to field the calls was a serious question -any
change to the runtime's semantics will result in many bugreps, and
someone will have to deal with theim.

> No, not particularly. Sometimes though, some things may hurt enough that backward compatibility
is sacrificed, which I just wanted to hear some opinions on, with, I hope, a courteous and
simple query. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'm not offended; its quite often that people want to fix the
inconsistencies. The problem is that we are fairly confined by what we
change.

The worst changes are those that make it impossible to write a build
file that works consistent on both versions of ant, yet appears to work
on both versions. Adding a new task or type clearly wont run on an old
version, but changing a default is the kind of subtle change that
doesn't appear to break things, but changes the expected results. People
really hate it when we do that.

includeAntRuntime is clearly one of those legacy hacks. Originally the
ant runtime was always included; the addition of a switch to turn it off
was the new feature...to keep the old builds working the switch was off
by default. Similarly, the <exec> and <java> tasks have
failonerror=false as default, nearly everything else has it set to true,
because those two tasks predate the failonerror pattern.

Eventually backwards compatibility will box us into a state where it
becomes impossible to make progress or write good build files. This is
why so much discussion goes into the merits of new features (like
namespaces), because if we get it wrong then it will make everything
wrong down the line. If there was too much focus on the immediate
solution we'd end up with something like Win32 API, rather than
something more consistent (like the Unix API).