ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject AW: AW: ANT1.6 much more slower than 1.5
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:40:24 GMT
Hi,

A workaround for people migrating from ant 1.5 to ant 1.6 and wanting to
keep antcall is to set inheritrefs to false.

I have found the diffs for the fix which I checked in on July 22nd.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=105887513827839&w=2
Is this improvable for performance ?

Is this really such a critical problem to deliver ant 1.6 ?

Cheers,

Antoine

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Peter Reilly [mailto:peter.reilly@corvil.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. Dezember 2003 17:04
An: Ant Developers List
Betreff: Re: AW: ANT1.6 much more slower than 1.5

Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:

>Hi Jose,
>
>what you are saying is that <antcall/> is slower in ant1.6 than in ant1.5,
>and that you can fix the problem partly by moving
>to macrodef.
>
>The question is : what made antcall slower in 1.6
>
>The one change I remember is :
>Allow references to be properly inherited via antcall Bugzilla Report
21724.

Awesome... =-O
Well done. I was bashing my head against a wall looking into this. :-(
For my simple scripts, ant 1.6 (using crimson as against xerces) was
faster than ant 1.5. 8-)
But now this script:

<project default="y">
<fileset id="set" dir=".">
<include name="**/*.xml"/>
</fileset>
<target name="y">
</target>
</project>
Takes 1.5 seconds on ant1.6 against 1.2 on ant 1.5.
and without the id:

<project default="y">
<fileset dir=".">
<include name="**/*.xml"/>
</fileset>
<target name="y">
</target>
</project>

Takes 0.55 on ant1.6 against 1.1 on ant 1.5.

Using antcall makes this effect much worse:
<project default="calls">
<fileset id="set" dir=".">
<include name="**/*.xml"/>
</fileset>
<target name="y">
</target>
<target name="calls">
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/><project default="calls">
<fileset id="set" dir=".">
<include name="**/*.xml"/>
</fileset>
<target name="y">
</target>
<target name="calls">
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
</target>
</project>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
<antcall target="y"/>
</target>
</project>

Takes 4.5 seconds on ant1.6 against 1.4 seconds on ant1.5.

Peter