ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject AW: ANT1.6 much more slower than 1.5
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:39:16 GMT
Hi Jose,

what you are saying is that <antcall/> is slower in ant1.6 than in ant1.5,
and that you can fix the problem partly by moving
to macrodef.

The question is : what made antcall slower in 1.6

The one change I remember is :
Allow references to be properly inherited via antcall Bugzilla Report 21724.

I do not know whether this is the culprit.

Antoine

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jose Alberto Fernandez [mailto:jalberto@cellectivity.com]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. Dezember 2003 15:48
An: dev@ant.apache.org
Betreff: ANT1.6 much more slower than 1.5

OK, here are some more issues.

I am running the my main build in ANT 1.6 vs 1.5
and I am getting very disapointing numbers:

On ANT1.5 a full build takes 9m23s

On ANT1.6b3 the same build takes 14m12s (!!!!!)

On ANT1.6b3 a modified version of the build takes 11m3s

This is after modifying the build for 1.6 to use
<macrodef> in a couple of obvious places instead of <antcall>.

This is on a build file with over 2500 lines and with
numerous <antcall> and <foreach> loops.

I can extrapolate from this two things:

a) <macrodef> really helps in 1.6.

b) I will have to convert a lot of the code to just
get the performance I had before. If I move the
rest of the developers to 1.6 as is, they will kill me.
They already complain the build takes too long.

Any insight on what we should look into?
We cannot ship 1.6 with such issues, I do not think.

Jose Alberto