ant-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: DynamicConfigurator namespace problem
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:50:33 GMT
Am 12.12.2003 um 15:40 schrieb Peter Reilly:
> Christopher Lenz wrote:
>> Personally, I prefer DOM style as it is higher-level. The
>> qualifiedName parameter makes sense (well, sort of) when you can
>> enable/disable namespace support. When namespace support is always
>> enabled (as it is in Ant 1.6) the (namespaceURI, prefix, localName)
>> partitioning makes more sense IMHO, and is easier to use.
>
> The prefix is in any case nearly useless to the user:
> <dtest xmlns:ant="antlib:org.apache.tools.ant" xmlns:uri="uri">
>      <uri:local/>
>      <ant:local/>
>      <local/>
>      <local xmlns="antlib:org.apache.tools.ant"/>
> </dtest>

Yes, usually you don't need to know about the prefix. It is only
necessary if the prefix is used in attribute values, as in XSLT. So if
I wanted to create a task that directly embeds XSLT templates in build
files, having access to the namespace prefix mappings would be
mandatory.

>> However, I really think we should pass a NamespaceContext (working
>> title) instead of the prefix, as explained in another post in this
>> thread.
>
> The problem with this is that the namespace context is only valid at
> parse time. So ant would have to remember the different contexts, and
> apply
> them at runtime which is not too easy,

Ah, the often overlooked (at least by me) distinction between parse
time and run time :-/

Considering this, the best choice for now might be to leave the
prefix/qualifiedName information out of the interface completely (just
ommitting the "prefix" parameter from the proposed interface).

For Ant HEAD, we could think about ways to preserve namespace prefix
information so that it is also available at run time. When/if that is
resolved, an extended DynamicConfiguratorNS interface could be made
available.

Does that make sense?
   Chris

--