ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <>
Subject RE: Selection of dependencies
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:22:51 GMT
I've thought of this myself... It would indeed be possible, although target
ordering is usually important, and it's not clear what the ordering should
be when using a regex? Order in the build file? Alphabetical order?

The one requirement is that the dependencies of a target are statically
described, and that it's not circular (a true DAG, Directed Acyclic
Graph for those non-fluent in this english accronym that I discovered
recently). Both these requirements are not incompatible with regex

As far as whether it's good style or not, I'm style reserved on the
issue. Ant tries to be explicit and self describing, so maybe such
dependencies is a bit opaque, but maybe not.

I think its more an itch thing. I'm sure like you and me others have
thought of that, but no one thought it important enough to spend the
time on it. Maybe if you took a stab at it it would be accepted?

Hard to say. I think I would use it at least. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Alban Peignier
Sent: 12/11/2003 9:16 AM
Subject: Selection of dependencies

I'm looking for an answer to this small question. Why Ant doesn't
this kind of dependencies :
 <target name="dist" depends="dist.*"/>

 <target name="dist.lib" ..

 <target name="dist.jar" ..

This target "pattern" is often used to avoid huge targets into big Ant
The Target design seems to be able to support this kind of resolution.
it  incompatible with the "Ant style" ?
Thanks for your answers

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: