ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: new task 'ants' required or not.
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:49:34 GMT
Sathyanarayana V. wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>	Recently,  as part of automating my project builds, I have used CruiseControl along with
Ant.  Surprisingly, I didn't find any task to build/compile all the subprojects    of a project.
 My purpose was to have  the compile time errors of all the subprojects as part of automated
build report. The 'ant' task will stop building as soon as one subproject fails. I tried using
java/exec tasks with 'failonerror '  attribute as false, but the problem with  this approach
is that build status of subprojects is not available to the main build process and resulting
Total build successful though subprojects are failing in-between.

>   So, I have written new task  called 'ants' and used for my automated builds. This task
internally uses 'ant' only.  What I would like to know is: Can I post this task of mine to
apache or Is there any existing task/workaround available for the above required behavior.

>Thanks in advance
>Sathya

Hi Sathya,

thanks for letting us know about your new task 'ants'. In ant 1.6.0 we
have the <subant/> task which can process a number of ant files, and can
run with failonerror="false". The only thing is that it does not have a
mechanism to report back to the main project which subprojects have
failed. Maybe the way of recording which projects have failed would be
with a custom listener.

Otherwise, if you use ant-contrib, you can use <for/> or <foreach/> to
do iterations, and <try/> <catch/> to catch build exceptions.

Another possibility would be that you promote your sub-projects to
projects and build each of them with gump, another Apache tool
(http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/).

I do not know whether you can then combine gump and CruiseControl or
whether this is an overkill.

Cheers,

Antoine