ant-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject DynamicConfigurator namespace problem
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:53:27 GMT
Hi all,

in the light of a final release of 1.6 next week, I think the
DynamicConfigurator issue with namespaces needs to be resolved. I can't
believe I'm the only one who has a problem with the current
implementation, which concatenates the namespace URI and the local name
of the element to pass it into
DynamicConfigurator#createDynamicElement. This is a change that breaks
backwards compatibility because the semantics of the method is changed.

So I wonder: why not just pass the elements local name to the method?
That would preserve the semantics from 1.5 (except if the build file
writer has decided to use colon-separated prefixes in element names
[1]).

If there is a potential DynamicConfigurator implementation that needs
the namespace information, such as Stefan's new XMLFragment, it will
probably need more information about the namespace anyway (such as
prefix mappings). So instead of hacking namespace support into
DynamicConfigurator and thereby breaking backwards compatibility, an
extended DynamicConfigurator interface should be scheduled for
inclusion in a post 1.6 release.

BTW, I have other issues with the namespace support in 1.6, such as
pervasive use of the term "uri" for namespace URIs. URI is (IMHO) a
*type* of data, but does not convey it's semantics. The semantic is
"namespace", the type is "URI". But I'm not gonna push this any further
:-P

Are there any good arguments for not changing the DynamicConfigurator
code to pass only the local name?

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de