ant-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: DynamicConfigurator namespace problem
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:52:20 GMT
Am 11.12.2003 um 13:44 schrieb Peter Reilly:
> Christopher Lenz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> in the light of a final release of 1.6 next week, I think the
>> DynamicConfigurator issue with namespaces needs to be resolved. I
>> can't believe I'm the only one who has a problem with the current
>> implementation, which concatenates the namespace URI and the local
>> name of the element to pass it into
>> DynamicConfigurator#createDynamicElement. This is a change that
>> breaks backwards compatibility because the semantics of the method is
>> changed.
>
> The problem is that no matter what is done backwards compatibility
> will be broken.
> Some people use the name to call Project#createTask() and
> Project#createDataType() to create a
> type. The name passed matches this usage. Also, as noted below, the
> new XMLFragment

Thanks, Peter, that was the missing piece. I think it's somewhat
unfortunate that this namespace+localname concatenation is something
happening throughout Ant, maybe providing additional namespace-enabled
methods in Project would have been better. Calls to
Project#createTask(name) would lookup the task in a global table, while
calls to Project#createTask(namespace, name) would lookup the task in a
namespace-partitioned table. Has this option been evaluated?

I'm a bit upset that we'll probably have to add a section to the Cactus
FAQ about why the Ant tasks provided with Cactus 1.5 don't work when
they're typedef'd into a namespace in Ant 1.6.

> type. The name passed matches this usage. Also, as noted below, the
> new XMLFragment
> can
> use this information as well.

But note that the information is not enough to build a real DOM
fragment, because it is missing the prefixes.

Cheers,
   Chris
--
Christopher Lenz