ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] macrodef - do attributes as properties or substitutions
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:08:27 GMT
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, peter reilly <peter.reilly@corvil.com> wrote:

> OK, how do we want to implement <macrodef> attributes:
>                                   current
>  [ ] as textual substitution    ~ 4
>  [ ] as "real" Ant properties   ~ 2
>
> undecided                       ~ 1

only counting the "binding" votes would result in 1/2/1, so neither
choice has received enough binding votes by now.  Dominique, Jose
Alberto and Steve know that I'm not ignoring their votes, but
technically they are non-binding.

> If macrodef attribute are to be implements as substitutions, what
> should be the notation? (where x is the attribute name)
>
>  [ ] as ${x} (look like ant properties)

-1, too confusing.

>  [ ] as @x

-1 doesn't work if you want to concatenate an expanded attribute and
some other text, i.e.

<attribute name="foo"/>
<attribute name="foobar"/>

is @foobarbaz the expansion of foo plus the literal text barbaz or is
it the attribute foobar plus the literal text baz - or something
completely different?

>  [ ] as ${attribute:x}

-1 - still looks too much like a property and collides with existing
properties that's name starts with "attribute:" (unlikely but
possible).

>  [ ] as $(x)
>  [ ] as @{x}

either one works for me - as well as {@x}.