ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MARC - spam enabler
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 08:17:02 GMT
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Steve Cohen wrote:

> Can't MARC be fixed to munge email addresses?

Even if it could, it wouldn't help you.

> but whenever I am replied to, my full unmunged email address gets
> published in MARC.

I've just removed your email address from the attribution my MUA
generates. 8-)

Marc is by far not the only way a spammer can get at your address you
use for posting here.  Eyebrowse is another option, as are our mbox
archives.  It's even quite easy to subscribe an address collecting bot
to the list.

> I am sick of seeing my postings to these lists turn into spam
> cannons pointed back at myself.

There is no way to avoid that, all you can do is to use smart spam
detection software on your side, sorry.  Spammers will get your
address if you use it on public lists and no address munging will stop
them from doing so.

Stefan