ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Kipman" <akip...@microsoft.com>
Subject MSBuild vs Ant
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 01:25:28 GMT
Hello everyone,

My name is Alex Kipman (AKipman@microsoft.com), and I'm the Program
Manager for MSBuild <ducks for cover>.  You may or may not have read my
post about this "Us versus Them" attitude portrayed in the "Longhorn"
book.  Just in case you haven't I'll try to post something similar here:

I saw that book and the chapter on MSBuild for the first time at PDC.
The content of that chapter is inaccurate in some parts, and in
particular in the final section of MSBuild vs Ant.  I will be having a
serious conversation with the publisher at MSPress and Brent to find out
where they got their information from since no one in the MSBuild team
was aware of the content of that chapter.

Again my apologies for the description of MSBuild vs Ant since that is
the polar opposite of how I think we should interact.  It is not about
us vs Ant and we shouldn't let it become that way.  As I have told the
NAnt community we love you guys!!  You guys are a thriving community and
are enabling people to build great applications.

I have just subscribed to both ant-dev and ant-user so that I can answer
questions about MSBuild if/when you guys have them.  My objective is to
give you facts rather than leave things up to speculation.  Please let
me know if my lurking upsets you and I will respect that and unsubscribe
from the mailing lists.

*Stefan* I've read your blog(s) about MSBuild
(http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/).  In as much as you could I think you
were very objective in your comments, and for that I sincerely thank
you!

Again my apologies for the MSBuild vs Ant part of the "Longhorn" book.
If my team had seen it, we wouldn't have allowed it to be published.

Alex Kipman (AKipman@microsoft.com)
Program Manager
Visual Studio Core Team (aka MSBuild team)

rights.