ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <>
Subject RE: macrodef - do attributes as properties or substitutions
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:18:46 GMT
I think I need to justify some more what do I think the way I do
about macrodef. I know the vote is already going, but I really
want for people to understand my position.

To me macrodefs are for writing all those tasks that I am too
lazy, or they are too simple for me to need to go and write and
maintain some Java code. It is not to replace <antcall/> but
as a side efect, it will replace all those little antcalls we wrote
because we didn't want to write java.

With that in mind, I would want <macrodef> to resemble a Java task
and not to resemble <ant(call)>. And if it resemples a java task,
then attributes should resemble java variables in my code.
That is, its values should not affect the values of properties
(which is what <local> does). If I want a task to affect other tasks
then I can always call <property> or <local> as part of the macro.
But if <atributes> modify properties, then there is no way for me
to stop them for happening.

Substitution is the least interfearing behavior.

So, that is why I think the way I do. Comments? changes of votes? :-)

Jose Alberto

I'd like to keep this particular vote focussed on property versus
textual substitution.  I am aware that the vote won't be complete after
that as we'll still have issues to decide upon (scope+extent or
notation, depending on this vote's outcome), but let's get this one here
straight first.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure about the rules we have to apply since we've
already shipped betas with the code, so strictly speaking a decision we
are considering a code change which would require (lazy) consensus of
the committers as opposed to a new idea that would require a majority
only.  Let's see where we get from here and whether we'll have to
actually decide that at all 8-)

OK, how do we want to implement <macrodef> attributes:

[ ] as textual substitution
[ ] as "real" Ant properties

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: