ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/proposal/sandbox/dotnet .cvsignore README
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:30:40 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
>
>>bodewig@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>>bodewig     2003/11/21 02:52:23
>>>  * A <dotnetexec> task that can be used as
>>>      <dotnetexec executable="ExampleCsc.exe"/>
>>>      without testing for the environment (see the dotnet.xml build
>>>      file
>>>    for Ant's tests as an example for what may become simpler with
>>>    this).
>>
>>+1, let people provide the path of a launcher if needed
>

> It is already there.  I've named the attribute vm, not sure whether
> this is appropriate for .NET folks, though.
>
> BTW, we could probably change <csc> to default to mcs as executable if
> not running on Windows, that would make build files easier to port.

+1

>>>    * A <nant> task.
>>
>>+1; would be nice if we could have a nant listener that would feed
>>into Ant's reporting levels.
>

> I don't think it is possible to write on without making it LGPLed at
> the same time.

that side of things would go into nant or an sf project; ant side would
just parse the stream.

Actually it makes me think of a broader want of mine -the ability to run
a forked or remote and and have log info chain across the wire
-messages, exception traces, &c.

Before anyone says 'soap', I dont think soap is right as it wouldnt be
progressive enough; an invoke() call would only return when invocation
finished, and I want streaming.

But we could have some XML wire format to listen to, an
XML-marshall-listener for both Ant and Nant, and an XML-unmarshaller
ant-side (and nant side, but that is their problem), & stream stuff over
stdio, telnet, ssh, http, whatever. We could then do an AntServlet that
would run ant on a server...

This is all 1.7-timeframe stuff, but could be very cool.

>>>  Mid term goals:
>>>    * A <nunit> task.
>>
>>yes please!
>

> Mid term 8-)