ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Brent Rector on Msbuild vs Ant
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:16:46 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
>
>>Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Oh, Latin is my third language (and I never had the opportunity to
> tell girls I was interested in what they had to say in Latin 8-).

I believe there are still some parts of switzerland and a bit of the
Dolomites near Cortina that still speak a derivative of latin, if you
feel like trying your luck.

>>now, they dont have to care what I say, but we do have the option of
>>pulling all .NET support from ant1.6...
>

> I don't think there is such a significant user base for them, is
> there?  You and me, but most .NET developers who are not doing
> heterogeneous builds will pick NAnt today (or VS.NET).

I probably would too, and when vs.net shipped would use that, simply
because integration with the IDE and code you are working on makes
sense. I encountered a fair bit of resistance in getting everyone on the
team here to install a modern JRE so they could run Ant to build the C++
stuff. Some people still have issues with CppUnit too.

and that is going to be one of the hard things to change with VS.net.
Its very-excellent debugger does bias people towards debug-based
development, rather than writing the tests and tracking down problems by
writing new tests. In a way, the limitations of the Java IDEs -no
dominant tool, historically weak debuggers (better now), made us use Ant
and JUnit because there was no way to get things working otherwise. .NET
does have a single IDE with good debugging, so people have been able to
struggle along with a non-scalable, non-automated process. Or as I call,
it "edit-and-continue" programming.

If I ever get the time, I plan to use the .NET tasks with Axis to do
better client side interop testing. This is why the <wsdlToDotnet> task
is there. I may need <nunit> and <al> shortly too.

-steve