ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about MacroDef vs antcall
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:23:38 GMT
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>> directory scanning speed has improved a lot in certain
>> configurations
>
> Stefan, could you point me to something that will
> elaborate on that statement?

Apart from the cvs commits and some discussion on this list, I'm
afraid there isn't too much.  The most important changes started on
July 14th (Antoine's change to DirectoryScanner) and things have
settled down about two week later.

In a nutshell, the scanner will now detect situations like
includes="a/b/c/d/**" and not scan any directories that are not below
d at all.  The old code would start with the base directory of the
file set and at least scan a, a/b and a/b/c even though it never
needed the results of the scans.

So you'll notice a speedup of all scanning operations for filesets
that contain include patterns with constant path prefixes.  In
particular you'll notice a big speedup for filesets that don't match
on wildcards at all (i.e. where all include patterns are complete
paths).

Stefan