ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <SCo...@sportvision.com>
Subject RE: Tale from the front: macrodef nesting
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:41:29 GMT
Sorry to say I wasn't involved in the discussion at that time.  What
were the arguments against using an alternative notation?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:DDevienne@lgc.com]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 9:33 AM
To: 'Ant Developers List'
Subject: RE: Tale from the front: macrodef nesting

> From: Steve Cohen [mailto:SCohen@sportvision.com]
>
> You're correct about working around this problem.  However, I think
> it's still a problem that the same ${identifier} notation can either
> indicate a macrodef attribute or an ant property with completely
> different times of resolution.
>
> In other words, the line of warning in the ant manual --
>
> "This attribute is placed in the body of the templated task using the
> ant property notation - ${attribute name}. Note that is not an actual
> ant property"
>
> --will certainly confuse users and may therefore indicate a problem in

> design.

I argued long and hard on Ant-dev against this overloading of the
meaning of ${name}, to no avail. Glad to see I'm not alone in this
thinking. But then again, <macrodef>'s subtleties might just be showing
the limits of my own abilities to grasp context-dependent behavior, when
sharper people apparently have no such limitations. --DD