ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <SCo...@sportvision.com>
Subject RE: Getting people to test the beta
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:41:40 GMT
This is great - pretty much exactly what I was looking for a couple of
weeks ago.

Heck, if I could ever get out from behind the workload that sits on top
of me, even I could take the time to test it.  Perhaps next month.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 4:22 AM
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Subject: Getting people to test the beta

Hi,

this is just a random thought, but I have to share it anyway 8-)

To me it seems that the only way to get people to test the beta is to
better explain what the new really cool features will be.  Not that I
expect too much testing then either, most people will simply wait for
the first final release, but we may get testing of those featured
features.

My idea is to use the Wiki and the user list together to improve our
docs and attract testers at the same time.  It goes along the following
line

* Add a Wiki page listing the things that we consider killer new
  features

* For each such feature write a separate more tutorial/howto style
  introduction.  Not too much, people should be able to improve on it.

* Every second day or so pick one of the features and announce it on
  the user list, include a short introduction of the feature there.
  Invite people to participate in both testing and improving the
  documentation.

When done, compile documentation for the new features from the Wiki and
put it into / link it from the welcome.html file as well as release
notes and announcements of the next release.

Could that work?  Would it be too much trouble?

Stefan