ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Tale from the front: macrodef nesting
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:32:51 GMT
> From: Steve Cohen [mailto:SCohen@sportvision.com]
>
> You're correct about working around this problem.  However, I think it's
> still a problem that the same
> ${identifier} notation can either indicate a macrodef attribute or an
> ant property with completely different times of resolution.
>
> In other words, the line of warning in the ant manual --
>
> "This attribute is placed in the body of the templated task using the
> ant property notation - ${attribute name}. Note that is not an actual
> ant property"
>
> --will certainly confuse users and may therefore indicate a problem in
> design.

I argued long and hard on Ant-dev against this overloading of the meaning of
${name}, to no avail. Glad to see I'm not alone in this thinking. But then
again, <macrodef>'s subtleties might just be showing the limits of my own
abilities to grasp context-dependent behavior, when sharper people
apparently have no such limitations. --DD