ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: replacement of properties in addText(String)
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:46:50 GMT
> From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
> >
> > Also, can someone explain me why Ant merges all the text segments
> > of a node, when this node contains child elements? SAX doesn't...
>
> It has never really been a goal of Ant to support mixed content. In
> general, elements should either support nested content or nested elements.

Thanks. I appreciate the details, and I'll look up the thread for more.

> This issue could be revisited but would need to be changed in a backward
> compatible way. i.e. the Task would need to indicate that it wants to
> receive mixed content. Is the usecase strong?

No. I merely wanted to know the rational behind the current behavior,
which I re-discovered working on an enhanced <echo>, which supports
pretty-printing nested elements like <path>s, etc...

I turn around the issue by detecting mixed content, and failing in
this case, and provided a simple <text> nested element to properly
interspace textual info with other nested elements. --DD