ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: new Launcher and CLASSPATH
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:34:15 GMT
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Antoine Lévy-Lambert <>
>Von: Stefan Bodewig []

>>One of the reasons for the new launcher has been a command line
>>length limitation.  With this approach the command line would even
>>become longer, I'm afraid.
> This is just adding 5 characters

OK, we could live with that, I guess.

>>The new Launcher doesn't solve that, but that we are now splitting
>>up optional.jar makes solution (2) a lot easier.
> Yes, this is what I am talking about. Can you explain how the
> splitting of optional.jar will make the solution easier ?

If we take the <junit> task as an example (as I'm more familiar with
it):  remove ant-junit.jar from ANT_HOME/lib and then use

<taskdef name="junit" ....>
    <pathelement location="whereverthisis/junit.jar"/>
    <pathelement location="whereverthatis/ant-junit.jar"/>

before splitting up optional.jar you had to remove all optional tasks
from ANT_HOME/lib or fiddle with the jar.

> If you have this scenario :
> - custom task
> - java runtime class or interface called by the custom task (example
> javax.naming.Context)
> - other library (JNDI driver)
> then the other library has to be in the CLASSPATH.

or the custom task is neither on the CLASSPATH nor in ANT_HOME/lib.  I
think this still holds true.  Just that with the new Launcher, your
custom task won't work if it is on the CLASSPATH anyway.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message