ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting 1.6 out the door
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:11:38 GMT

peter reilly wrote, On 01/09/2003 20.10:
> On Monday 01 September 2003 16:43, Dominique Devienne wrote:

>>It's not all about power, or one would use a real programming language
>>like Perl or Python. <macrodef>, although powerful, complexifies the rules
>>of Ant, namely the property expansion one, making it context dependent!
>>
>>Never underestimate the power and simplicity of context/scope free rules.
property
>>expansion rules works the same everywhere, and I'd like this to stay the
>>same.
>
> <macrodef> follows (I think) the same rules of properties as <antcall> with
> inheritall=yes.

+1

> <macrodef> should make ant a little simpler by removing the need
> for a lot of <antcall>s. People sometimes use them at the moment to emulate
> macros/templates.
>
> Normally (I think), <macrodef> would be used in the same project that defined
> it, so the rules for property expansion would not be an issue.

I agree.

I also think that macrodef is quite important, as it does most of what I
have been doing with importing targets, but without the need of using
targets.

Imports should be reusable bits of builds. But instead they carry the
baggage of targets. With macrodef I can finally *create tasks using Ant*.

To me, the current macrodef behaviour seems pretty easy to grok.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -