ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject AW: 1.6 migration guide?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:52:52 GMT
First of all, the change from ant1.5 to ant1.6 is not that drastic.

There are new tasks and extensions of existing tasks.

The most revolutionary feature is antlib. It should allow users to create
jar files with
a descriptor containing all the taskdefs and typedefs that are required.

This work done by Peter Reilly should also make it easier to deliver custom
conditions, filters, ...

Really, Peter Reilly should be the one to write this migration guide.

Read the docs/manual/CoreTypes/antlib.html file,
docs/manual/CoreTypes/custom-programming.html.

Apart from antlib, the <import/> task is certainly useful. I am not 100%
sure myself what you can do and not do
with it, but in principle it is there to allow several build files to use a
common part containing for instance
property definitions, but also targets and whatever is legal in a main build
file.

fileset of build files, or
to run <ant/> n times against the same build file, changing the base dir.

Other than that, there is the possibility to put normal tasks directly under
the <project/> task (outside of any targets)
which is nice if you want to write a small build file.

Then the <ssh/> and <scp/> tasks will be very useful for deployment.

That's the main points which spring to my mind.

Antoine