ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <SCo...@sportvision.com>
Subject RE: 1.6 migration guide?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:59:35 GMT
Thank you.  This is very helpful, a start, anyway, on what I was after.
If Peter has time, I would really like to see what he comes up with.

On antlib, I guess I don't understand yet why I would want to do what it
does.  I'm sure there must be some power in this concept but I don't yet
understand what that is.

-----Original Message-----
From: Antoine Levy-Lambert [mailto:antoine@antbuild.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 9:53 AM
To: Ant Developers List
Subject: AW: 1.6 migration guide?

First of all, the change from ant1.5 to ant1.6 is not that drastic.

There are new tasks and extensions of existing tasks.

The most revolutionary feature is antlib. It should allow users to
create jar files with a descriptor containing all the taskdefs and
typedefs that are required.

This work done by Peter Reilly should also make it easier to deliver
custom conditions, filters, ...

Really, Peter Reilly should be the one to write this migration guide.

Read the docs/manual/CoreTypes/antlib.html file,
docs/manual/CoreTypes/custom-programming.html.

Apart from antlib, the <import/> task is certainly useful. I am not 100%
sure myself what you can do and not do with it, but in principle it is
there to allow several build files to use a common part containing for
instance property definitions, but also targets and whatever is legal in
a main build file.

fileset of build files, or to run <ant/> n times against the same build
file, changing the base dir.

Other than that, there is the possibility to put normal tasks directly
under the <project/> task (outside of any targets) which is nice if you
want to write a small build file.

Then the <ssh/> and <scp/> tasks will be very useful for deployment.

That's the main points which spring to my mind.

Antoine