ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Microsoft discover XML based build tools
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2003 04:29:35 GMT

http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/korbyp/permalink.aspx/c6c8775e-74b3-4d9c-971b-615f744cc1e5

"MSBuild is the [extensible, scalable, transparent] next generation
build engine and platform for Visual Studio .NET.  Many of our sharpest
PMs, developers, testers, and yes, even writers, are feverishly working
on this project.

A number of folks with whom I've discussed MSBuild--including several
enterprise development consultants in the field--believe that it just
might be the single most important feature innovation in our pipeline.
And if you consider how many one-off build tools and convoluted
prescriptive build processes have been developed (or evolved) since the
release of VS.NET 2002, it's hard to argue with them."

ooh, xML build tools are now 'strategic'. wow. And I just thought they
were damage limitation. I wonder how many lines of msbuild will it take
to compile a COM typelib into a .NET assembly, disassemble that
assembly, patch up the declarations to marshall arrays properly and
reassemble it. In ant1.6 that takes 12 lines, if you go for the
human-readable option.