ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: GUMP failure caused by ANT (Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - Axis)
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:09:47 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
>

>>FYI: a recent change (few weeks back?) is breaking Axis in its
>>iterative build (uses a descendent of ant-contrib's foreach)
>

> <javac> fails as it cannot find SOAPStruct and in fact a
>
> find xml-axis -name \*SOAPStruct.class
>
> comes up empty after a Gump failure on my machine.  Where is <javac>
> supposed to find the class?
>
> OK, I've found a SOAPStruct.java in interop3/groupE.

Axis creates a lot of its java source from WSDL declarations, which is
why its test process is so convoluted. First the wsdl creates the
source, then it is compiled, then the tests run. That does not mean
things cannot be dramatically improved.

Dims says:

one more data point (nagoya, jdk13, ant-nightly):
"ant -f buildSamples.xml compile" (FAILS - compiles same build.xml many
times)
"ant -Dforeach.fork=true -f buildSamples.xml compile" (WORKS OK)

> Which build file contains the foreach task?

axis/java/tools

> Could it be that your compilation depends on the order of the files in
> a fileset?  This may have changed, but then again we have never made
> any guarantees about that, filesets are by definition not ordered at
> all.

Anything is possible, but I think maybe some other change w/
classloading, vms, or the like could have done it.