ant-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <adam....@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: Getting 1.6 out the door
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 09:08:55 GMT
On 09/03/2003 06:33 PM Gus Heck wrote:
>>> As I've been saying all along, lets just introduce a new (unique) notion
>>> for attribute/variable expansion (at use time rather than definition
>>> time), which
>>> is something new in Ant anyhow. No (or less?) backward compatibility
>>> issues, and makes it plain and obvious what is what:
>>>
>>> ${name}       it's a property!
>>> (@name)       it's an attribute/variable!!!
> Is it simpler to add yet another complex rule to the meaning of  ${foo}
> or to attach the new rule to a new syntax that only needs to be learned
> for the use of macrodef only. Anyone who hasn't used macrodef will see
> the new syntax in a build and know there is something different going on
> with (@foo)  (or whatever).

This is none of my business but I've been reading the thread as you guys
throw this back and forth, I would like to suggest a compromise syntax:

$td{name}

That way it looks similar but is noticably different. It also leaves the
door open for future needs for a third (!!) syntax.
Just my .02

Adam

--
ant 1.6alpha + java 1.4.2 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9