ant-dev mailing list archives

From Per Olesen <>
Subject Re: AW: Volunteering: ejclientjar task missing? I want to write it
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:22:03 GMT
Hi Antoine,

> If this is a standard J2EE requirement, and if the task is really not
> covered yet, then it is certainly in the scope of ant.

The ejb-client-jar certainly is a concept of the EJB2.0 spec, but it is not a
mandatory element to use for a ejb developer. Still, it is a well-known
concept which many use, so I think it would fit into the optional package.

> It is OK that you discuss on the list how you want to implement the task.
> Maybe there are also some J2EE discussion groups where you can also get
> some ideas.

I do not know if there are anyone using J2EE listening which can comment on
this, but here is what I am currently working on:

A task, called "ejbclient", which takes a "srcdir" attribute which is where
ejb-jar files are searched for, and a "destdir" attribute, where generated
ejb-client-jar files are written to.

Inside the task, one can give a "classpath" element for where to find
dependent classes. In addition, the "ejbclient" task is to inherit from
MatchingTask, which makes it possible to find the input ejb-jar files using a
contained fileset.

The input ejb-jar files found will have their ejb-jar.xml files parsed and the
public classes are analyzed for dependencies using BCEL. From this, a output
ejb-client.jar file is written, with all ejb client-view classes.

Comments and ideas are very welcome!

Here is a (preliminary) example of usage:

  <target name="test1" depends="init">
    <ejbclientjar srcdir="${testejbs.dir}/test1" destdir="${build.dir}">
          <pathelement location="${build.dir}/classes" />
       <include name="**/*.jar" />

Regards, Per Olesen

Per Olesen @ Nordija A/S - - main#: +45 70 20 25 10
email: - cell#: +45 23 38 95 81