ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: Getting 1.6 out the door
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:48:15 GMT
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:51 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, peter reilly <> wrote:
> >> In particular, I'm not too fond of the completely undocumented
> >> <classloader> task.
> >
> > It would be nice to get this fixed.
> I rather opposed to the idea of adding stuff to a class loader that
> has been used before - especially for the system classloader.  I'm not
> sure whether there is something that could be fixed.
> <classloader> gets you into a position where you load the same class
> twice.
> <taskdef resource="...">
>   <classpath>
>     <pathelement location="my-tasks.jar"/>
>   </classpath>
> </taskdef>
> and later you go and add my-tasks.jar to the system class loader via
> <classloader>.   Suddenly the class is available in the same
> classloader twice (the one that loaded the tasks in <taskdef>) and
> some of them have already been loaded - and not from the system
> classloader that will be used in subsequent attempts.
> I'd rather stay away from this completely.

Since Costin has not chimed in, it is worth reading this message and Costin's

In general, I'm not very comfortable with the <classloader> task as it can
cause untold havoc and subtle errors. Costin's counterpoint is that it is
perhaps useful for advanced users  - this may have merit.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message