ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Build Time
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:07:27 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Something like log4j would allow us to enable debug on a particular
>> target or task.
>
> <record> solves this.

Thanks, didn't know about it.

>> Most of the time the debug messages are not logged by anyone
>
> IIRC XmlLogger will log all levels.

And generates huge files that sometimes are almost useless.

> I understand the use case and where you are getting at, I don't see a
> backwards compatible way to change it, though.  I expect
> BuildListeners to play a major role in IDE integration today, changing
> the interface will break a lot of things.

If we make commons-logging/log4j/whatever as part of ant1.6, then in 1.6+
tasks can use it for _debug_ info.
Things like the parameter used for javac or exec, or what files are beeing
copied can use that.

For backward compat, we could keep both paterns -
 if( project.debug ) -> use BuildListener to broadcast the info.
 if( taskLog.debug || target.debug ) -> use commons-logging to debug.

It may seem like a huge amount of work - but it can be done incrementally,
and at least in my experience this "fine tunned" debug is needed the most in
few tasks ( javac, exec, copy, antcall and maybe few others )

Costin