ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] namespace and antlib
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 04:36:24 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> All this overriding may create some bad maintaince problems.
>
> I agree for overriding in arbitrary namespaces, but we have to keep
> supporting it for the default namespace.
>
> We've added support for task overloading when Ant added a task with
> the name <manifest> and FOP's build broke as they had a manifest task
> of their own.  Without overriding, each new task in Ant could
> potentially break build files.

Namespaces are supposed to be a better/different solution for this problem.

I agree we should keep overriding for the default namespace, for backward
compat. But I don't think it is a good idea to support overriding in any
other case, and the default namespace should have a strong warning that
namespaces should be used instead of overriding.

Costin