ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Knut Wannheden" <knut.wannhe...@paranor.ch>
Subject Re: PropertyHelper (was: Re: beating the dead Ant 1.6 horse)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:14:35 GMT
Sounds great!

In anticipation of this feature I have used a few namespaced properties for
my custom tasks.  And since Ant 1.5 doesn't have any value for these, I've
just made the tasks resolve them explicitly.

This raises a question: Are properties whose values are resolved by custom
PropertyHelpers always converted to Strings?  I see that the return type of
PropertyHelper#getPropertyHook(String, String, boolean) has Object as the
return type.  But if that's always converted to a String then my custom
PropertyHelper will need to make sure that this is done correctly, i.e. that
the Object yields a meaningful String representation.

But for tasks which have a setXXX(Object) method it would maybe make sense
to preserve the property value as an Object instance, if that's what's
actually in the buildfile.  E.g.

    <foo xxx="${my:bar}"/>

would not convert the ${my:bar} property to a String.

Cheers,

--
knut