ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: override
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:38:02 GMT

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote, On 08/08/2003 20.02:
> From the XSLT bible by Michael Kay (2nd edition page 232):
> "Like inheritance un object-oriented languajes, <xsl:import> is designed
> to allow the creation of a library or reusable components, only in this case,
> the components are modules of stylesheets. And the mechanism works in a very
> similar way to inheritance".
>
> My understanding is that we wanted <import/> to allow us to define
> modules of <targets/>.

Yes. And as I see, Costin agrees to this. I'm not sure I understand what
you are aiming your comments at :-?

> You should read the full text of that page, I think a lot of what they want to
> acomplish in XSLT matches what I think, we need to acomplish in ANT,
> not sure is the way is done is the best for ANT, and they definetly go
> deeper than just stylesheet overriding (precedence) they override all
> kinds of things. Many do not apply to us, but others may.

Unfortunately I don't have that book... please help me. I think that
with my last mail proposal, the solution addresses all concerns
expressed here, except yours. I still don't understand though what you
want to do exactly, because it seems to me that you are talking about
"how" to do it rather than "what" you need.

Please write some usecases as I have done, so that we all can look at
them and see if/how they can be written with the current proposal, and
eventually update it.

> to me the important thing is the goal
> of writing effective reusable code.

Same here.

The project you cited, Centipede, effectively is able to do it with the
current import (which I initially wrote BTW).

My opinion is that the current proposal does all that Centipede needs
and does now, and even more.

Why do you think that this is not the case?

Remember, real code examples are important. Conor convinced me with
code. I convinced and discussed with Costin with code.

Code, code code!

  - verba volant, scripta manent -

:-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -