ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: override
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:52:21 GMT

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote, On 07/08/2003 16.15:

> Some comments on the issues inside:
>

>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>Well, IMHO I personally don't see a real, strong, compelling
>>reason to
>>have targets have crosstalk between themselves, but I do have
>>an equally
>>strong need to import dependencies.
>
> The escenario is that you have your tipical:

>    target compile depends=precompile
>    target precompile (do-nothing)

>    target precopile (very complex precompile lib)
>
> build:
>    import (a,b)

Yes, this is the "incriminated" use-case.

> With cross-talk that is all you need to connect the two
> and get the required effect. Without cross-talk you would need to add
> more targets to build:
>
>    target precompile depends=b.precompile
>
> or
>
>    override-target compile depends=b.precompile, super.compile
>
> the question is how convinient is to have to thread all this interconnections
> by hand on the importing buildfile.

What about this:

  a @importable="only"
     target compile depends=precompile
     <!-- target precompile (do-nothing) -->

     target precopile (very complex precompile lib)

  build:
     import (a,b)

It should work.

And manual intervention would kick in only in the case of multiple
clashing precompile targets.

(hey, I said the same thing as in the reply to Costin but with a lot
less words! Amusing...)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -