ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: override
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 08:59:49 GMT

Costin Manolache wrote, On 06/08/2003 6.44:

> One think I don't understand is why the import should be used as a OO
> substitute. Most languages I know define the import in a much simpler
> way. Maybe I'm missing too much of the context, I'm still trying to get
> updated with the mailing lists.

Just to get you up to speed, the current issue is about multiple
inheritance, and how the current system allows cross-import (unwanted?)
side-effects, as Conor has brilliantly shown.

A brief recap of decisions taken IIUC:

- add an attribute to project: @importable=true, false, only
- add possibility of prefix in import declaration
     <import file="xxx" prefix="xxy"/>
- all paths are resolved resolved to the importing file basedir
- keep projectname.ant.file property for relative path resolutions

- add <include/> task, like entity includes
- add <override-target/> task to override targets

Threads about import (in order):
    1 - ImportTask ant 1.6
    2 - ant 1.5.4 : Import
    3 - override

 From thread 2 I wrote:
multi-import(import a,b)
   target test depends=a.test, b.test

   target critical
   target test depends=critical

   target critical
   target test depends=critical

Here "critical" means a.critical to a and b.critical to b, but since
they reference a generic "critical", they get the only one that remains
after being redefined. The problem is that I did not redefine it in the
main buildfile!

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: