ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: override
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:00:45 GMT

Dominique Devienne wrote, On 01/08/2003 17.38:

> [...]

I don't have a need to have it, as I never used it from commandline, but
I don't see dangers in it. Either way id fine for me.

I understand your point now, thanks.  :-)

>>><override target="init">
>>>  <depends target="a.init" />
>>>  <depends target="b.init" />
>>></override>
>>
>>Can't it be instead:
>>
>>  <override target="init" depends="a.init, b.init"/>
>>
>>It's more similar to how target works.
>>I'm ok with either though.
>
> It could be, but it's less flexible. What is the importing build file needs
> to do something before and after a and b's init? Or in between? Much easier
> to do it before/after/between the <depends> tags, than being forced to
> create a specific target for before/between... (What I often refer to
> spaghetti Ant code)

Agreed, and that's why I also posted a depends tag in bugzilla (that had
some issues it seemed and remained there).

What I tried to say is that it should be possible to /also/ have them in
the depends attribute, as the normal target has them (for consistency).

In essence we could have (full example):

<override target="init" depends="pre.init">
   <dostuff/>
   <depends target="post.init" />
</override>

I'd like to have it in normal targets too BTW :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -