ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: override
Date Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:53:48 GMT

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote, On 01/08/2003 11.40:

> OK, lets get on the nitty gritty of the matter. :-)
>
> What do you mean by unrelated imports? If they are unrelated why do you need to
> import them toghether? Why don't you use <ant/> to call between the unrelated
> targets? In other words, the now famous example of "bad" crosstalk, I could
> argue is due to bad usage of the <import/> feature. The build should not
> have imported files A and B, but just <ant/> them. You whould have gotten
> the desired effect.

Conor already explained this to me IIUC, and I think he has "projectref"
in mind.

Basically it's like having parrallel buildfiles that can have
dependencies between them, a sort of super metabuilder.

 From last night's sleep, this is the latest news from my fried brain ;-)

Probably we should have different levels of multi-build systems.

  1 - include  - exactly like entity includes

                 USE CASE: Simple snippets that are in common between
                           files, like init targets

  2 - override - can be used alone or in the buildfile to override
                 targets - no  rewriting is done whatsoever

                 USE CASE: With the above to customize imported targets

  3 - import   - like the above two; still need th see if they are
                 a subset or equal to import

                 USE CASE: Simple include+override?
                           Used for build libraries like in xslt

  4 - antref   - makes it possible to *reference* an external buildfile
                 in the dependencies, and access its targets, properties,