ant-dev mailing list archives

From Morten Mortensen <morten.morten...@tietoenator.com>
Subject RE: "echo"-task, ignorable whitespace and CDATA-elements
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2003 17:50:00 GMT

It will break things? That, of course, is between "bad" and "annoing".
But technically, I am right?

There are other people out there - e.g. me - who are trying to automate
things - reformatting XML, in particular Ant-files, and who refer to the XML
specification to see, what is and is not allowed.

I kind of think, that those Python-script-like-people should learn to use
CDATA-elements. That would solve the problem!?

Ant-files should be XML, not just pretend to. -Is my opinion.

Med venlig hilsen
  Morten Sabroe Mortensen
  TietoEnator A/S, Ved Lunden 12, 8230 Åbyhøj, Danmark
  mailto:Morten.Mortensen@tietoenator.com
  http://www.tietoenator.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: 31. juli 2003 08:54
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: "echo"-task, ignorable whitespace and CDATA-elements

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Morten Mortensen
<morten.mortensen@tietoenator.com> wrote:

> It would be nice, if the "echo" task worked a bit different -
> actually *ignored* leading and trailing whitespace in the body of
> the text.

It may be possible to make that an option, but not the default IMHO.
I know a few build files that write files with <echo> or simply try to
pretty-format a message and we'd destroy the usecase.

> Example:
>
> <echo>This is text!</echo>
>
> - and -
>
> <echo>
>   This is text!
> </echo>

If it didn't, it would be completely impossible to use <echo> to write
a Python script for example (yes, people do things like this).

Stefan