ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ant/Antcall Returning properties and references [WAS] Re: ant 1.5.4 : Import
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:44:59 GMT
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> So far, I have got two +1 (myself and Jan Materne) for this proposal. The
> vote will be closed tomorrow at 12:28 pm CET (20 hours from now). Three +1s
> are required for a code change, so, by the likes of it, the vote will have a
> negative result.
>
> The <antfetch/>, <antcallback/>, <call/> tasks of Antelope provide
> functionality in terms of returning properties. This <antreturn/> is also
> returning references, so it can bring something new, plus the ease for users
> who want to deploy ant, but no extra jars providing core functionality to
> ant.
>
> Since there are already tons of changes in ant 1.6 alpha, there can be some
> wisdom in refusing or postponing this change.
>
> And there is also enough work fixing small or large bugs in existing
> functionality.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Antoine

I'm kind of neutral on the idea. I can see it has its uses, but can also
see it as kind of dangerous. It is nowhere near as controlled a return
mechanism as, say, a method call where unless global variables are
changed, the return parameters get stuck in properties of the callers
choice, not the callees.

anyway, back to fixing defects in COM objects regarding string
marshalling...