ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Hiller <d...@xsoftware.biz>
Subject Re: ant task submission....compilewithwalls
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:52:24 GMT
interesting.  I never knew that existed.  That actually kind of scares
me because I am someone who constantly investigates knew things out in
the open source community like Abbot, Subversion, castor, and
cruisecontrol(back when it was alpha).  Ant-contrib was something I
never noticed.  It was not in ant's list of external docs nor was there
a link from the manual.  There may be some really good tasks in there,
but I never knew about it.
    Can I suggest trying something new possibly?  ant-contrib might be a
good idea, but is it possible to have the ant manual contain(ant
repository still would NOT contain the jars such as ant-contrib, just docs)
1.  Core Tasks
2.  Optional Tasks
3.  External Self-Contained Tasks
4.  External Tasks
Then, people who write tasks can put the task in ant-contrib and post
the documentation to ant, so at least it can get some visibility.
People could also include download links to the jars from the manual, to
download the additional things needed.  I think this would be very
useful.  Another option might be to employ maven and have ant's build
download the external docs?  In the meantime, I will send a mail off to
ant-contrib.
    I have one more suggestion.  Ant contrib was saying I have to change
the build file.  It would be really nice if the only thing we had to do
was drop in the ant-contrib jar in the lib directory of ant, and ant
used a different classloader to read out of unknown jars to check the
tasks.properties file, and if there was one automatically add the tasks
without changes to the build file.  I don't think it's that hard to do.
Search lib directory for jars not called ant.jar and optional.jar, and
then load that jar in a different class loader just to get the
properties file and read it in to get all the tasks.  What do you think?
thanks,
dean