ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: ant task submission....compilewithwalls
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:34:38 GMT
Dean Hiller wrote:
>    ok, I am a moron.  I think I ran into the top of that when looking
> for guidelines and must not have looked down far enough.  My apologies
> for being annoying.

No, dont worry about that.

>    Anyways, what you are saying kind of worries me.  I have no where to
> really post this then?  I have a feeling this ant task is just going to
> end up being used by me because I can't put it in some open source
> repository to share it with others.

I actually really like the idea. You are not just wrapping some existing
code in Ant, you are bringing a whole new stage to the build process
-that of validating that bits of your project are separate.

As I said, I think a .class based approach would also be interesting,
but it has the weakness that it doesnt detect imported constants, which
could be an issue in some projects.

And, since you have tests and docs, it is more mature than many
submissions. Ones without tests are always trouble as the author thinks
they are ready to ship, but whoever takes on the role of committing the
stuff ends up being responsible for the tests. Which reminds me, I have
to write those tests for assertion support in Java :)

So I'll ask what other people think...