ant-dev mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <>
Subject Re: PropertyHelper (was: Re: beating the dead Ant 1.6 horse)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:07:43 GMT
> Yes. PropertyHelper is a property interceptor, and it simply rocks.
> In essence, you register a helper with Ant. Then, at each request for
> a property, each registered helper is asked for the property value in
> turn; the first one that has it, returns it.

Completely not following this property helper discussion up to this
point so I may be repeating something, (forgive me if I am) but this
sounds like the results of the request for a property could change if a
new property helper gets added... Does this break immutability? It may
be that the value of a property object never changes, but if the value
of ${foo} is one thing and then becomes another when a helper is
added.... I suspect whatever you have done is not going to cause this,
but what about someone writing a custom task that intentionally adds and
removes property helpers. What happens if someone writes a <setproperty>
task built on this idea? what happens if the property helper intercepts
built in things like ${basedir}? Sounds like the basis for a possible
<chdir> task :). Sounds highly abusable to me...

If you have set it up so ant doesn't accept new property helpers after
it starts executing the file, then this probably isn't an issue...

Just curious,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message