ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: override
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:03:28 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

>>From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
>>

>>>All the resolution of the semantics of the language is done
>>>before name mangling
>>
>>This is not strictly true. In C++ you decide (by using extern
>>"C") whether
>>to place a symbol in the global namespace or its own (by name
>>mangling). The
>>programmer needs to be aware of this. C++ also introduced the
>>namespace
>>concept due to the likelihood of Class name collisions, since
>>prior to that
>>Class names occupied a single global namespace.
>>

> Just for closure on this comment, all the stuff with extern "C"
> in C++ is not for the user programming in C++ but to allow
> interoperability between C++ and C. Which is a completely different
> suubject. I am the first to think that C++ became one of the worst
> amalgamations on features on the planet.

MFC 'enhanced C++' is probably the worst. Have you seen you can now do
try and catch in the constructor

Foobar::Foobar(wchar_t *something)
: try { member(something) } catch(std::exception) { //handler}
{
//real constructor here
}

It makes me pine for ADA, which at least has a clean modula2-style
interface declaration.

> And I definatly do not want ANT to go that way, that is my fear.

Agreed.

C++ is a classic example of accretion of trouble over time.