ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject RE: DataTypes
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 16:17:46 GMT
Thanks Stefan, good information, I appreciate it.

>	In principle with Ant 1.2, but <typedef> didn't exist before Ant 1.4
>	(and didn't work properly before 1.5).

So, let's see. If I make my classes sub-class from DataType, but don't rely
upon folks having to typedef them, then I ought be in good shape for 1.2
onwards, and users can leverage <typedef> (and perhaps references).

Again, and sorry if it is an FAQ -- but what is the "correct" ant to be
backwards compatible with these days?  1.5? Older?

I have some new tasks I want to publish, and they are heavily into nested
sub-elements, but since I test with 1.6 nightly I could easily have
compatibility problems.

	http://www.krysalis.org/version/ant/index.html

Is there any testing process to determine compatibility level (other than
users... ;-) ;-)

	> 2) What are the primary benefits of DataTypes? Re-use & References?

	In 1.6 there is a whole bunch of new opportunities for them, but let's
	stick with 1.5.x for now.

Mind telling me about 1.6?

	> 3) Ought pretty much all NestedElement be DataTypes -- to be more
	> flexible?

	The only flexibility you gain is that you can define them outside of
	tasks,

Sounds enough "more flexible" for me to want to do this.

I will have to investigate is there is an easy way/pattern to allow
something to be a nested sub-element or have reference id, on the parent
element. If there is, and it is cheap for you to let me know, please do,
otherwise I'll dig into example code.

	> 4) I really find this "unfortunate":
	>
	> 	<typedef resource="krysalis-version" />
	> 	<taskdef resource="krysalis-version" />

	Ant 1.6 will change this by using the new antlib concept.

How do I find out about this? I am sure I've missed gobs of stuff on this
list, that is in the archive, so I could start there. That said, is there
any "one stop antlib info shop" I could benefit from, like a design document
or wiki or something?

Thank in advance, and thanks again for the information.

regards

Adam